Pottawattamie County Animal Control Services

  • Facebook

Pottawattamie County Animal Control is devoted to encourage and educate animal owners and the public on animal care - including vaccinations, disease prevention, and shelter needs.  We strive to improve our return rate of lost dogs back to their families.

Certified Animal Control Officers work with the community to identify animals in distress, at risk, or who are a disturbance. It is the goal of the animal control division to return animals to their owners in all appropriate cases or to move animals to a safe shelter environment.

Pottawattamie County Animal Control upholds the County regulations for licensing animals, investigates complaints, and works to ensure the safety of the public – and your pets – from communicable diseases and dangerous strays.


We investigate:

  • Stray animals

  • Bite incidents

  • Rabies symptoms

  • Neglect or Abuse


 To contact Pottawattamie County Animal Control: 712-366-1143 or 712-242-1155

 To contact the Midlands Humane Society: 712-396-2270 or


*Licensing is required on all dogs in the County.

Dogs on a Bench
County Dog License Fee Schedule
  • Male or Female                                   1 Year             2 Year              3 Year

  • Intact                                                  $22.00             $44.00             $66.00

  • Neutered / Spayed                             $8.00               $16.00             $24.00

  • Late Penalty (After 02/14) – $10.00 per household

  • Lost Tag Replacement Fee – $5.00



Where do I get a County Dog License?

Licenses are now being accepted online through our CitizenServe Portal. 


You may go to Pottawattamie County Public Health to purchase a County Dog License:

600 S. 4th Street Ste. 100, Council Bluffs, IA 51503


For your convenience, you may also download a County Dog License Application and mail it along with:

  • Copy of your dog(s)current rabies vaccination certificate

  • Proof of spay/neuter, if applicable

  • Check or money order for amount due

  • Stamped self-addressed envelope


Mail completed application to the Pottawattamie County Public Health Clinic Animal Control office address above.


Contracted Communities Animal Licenses Applications

If you are a resident of one of our Animal Control Contracted Communities in the county and wish to purchase your animal license through the mail you will need to contact your city clerk for more information and directions to submit your application.


Contracted Community License Applications:

The following are Animal License Applications that you may download for your respective community:

Macedonia Animal License
Underwood Animal License
Walnut Animal License
Hancock Animal License

Please check back for additional communities as they are added. Animal Control County Code:

County Code Chapter 3.50 – Animal Control